About Parnall Public School
For more than 150 years, there has been a Parnall School in this sector of the city of St. Catharines. The first school in the parnall area was built in the 1850's on United Empire Loyalist land on the west side of Parnall Road. Later a second building was erected on Scott Street but because of its location, it was demolished to make way for the third Welland Canal. The third school house was built in 1875 on Church Road (now Linwell Road), west of the present school grounds.
Soon after World War II, many new homes were built in the former Grantham Township. The decision to close the original Parnall School was made in 1949. Plans were drafted for a new nine room school. Construction began in the spring of 1951 but students did not “move in” until March 1952 when the north wing was completed. Due to continued growth in the area, further construction added a west wing. When school opened in 1954, there were seventeen classrooms at Parnall. Finally in March 1970, the last addition to the school was completed. This included a library resource centre, a multi-purpose gymnasium with change rooms , a large kindergarten area and a staff room
Today, Parnall School has about 300 students from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8 and a strong educational team of teachers, teacher-librarian, learning resource teacher, educational assistants, youth counsellor and support staff.
Parnall students benefit from the commitment of our teachers to provide a rich program in the classroom and beyond through the many extracurricular activities. They have additional opportunities because of the strong partnership we have with the School Council. And, of course, our students receive invaluable support from involved parents. In such an environment, Parnall students will be successful learners who are inspired and empowered to reach their full potential.
Parnall Public School
507 Geneva Street, St. Catharines, L2N 2H7 P (905) 934-3348